Let’s take a minute to talk about my love for avocados. I haven’t always had this obsession but in my old age (seriously) I have begun to love them more and more. Salads, sandwiches, guacamole…anywhere and everywhere! I even will cut an avocado open, sprinkle with salt and pepper and dig in.
With this obsession you can only imagine how very excited I was when California Avocado offered to send me an entire case of them! Seriously, there it was, at my doorstep. An. Entire. Case. My first thought was to fill my bathtub with guacamole and eat my way out. Delicious AND good for the skin!
I decided to branch out a bit and try something new with the avocados. I’ve seen a lot of recipes using avocados to make an Alfredo-like sauce for pasta so I thought this would be a good time to try my hand at a recipe such as this.
Seriously, this seems a little strange but the flavor is amazing! It’s creamy and delicious and it seasoned correctly you would never know the difference between a fatty Alfredo sauce and this healthier version.
So before we get to the recipe, how about some avocado tips!
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Juice of ½ of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- 20 large cooked shrimp
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a food processor combine the avocado, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Toss the cooked pasta along with the avocado sauce. If the mixture is too dry, add in some of the reserved cooking liquid.
- Divide the pasta between 4 plates and top each plate with 5 shrimp. Garnish with additional basil or Parmesan if desired.