I am starting to wonder if I should have been a pilot because I have been in more planes over the past year than I have been in over my entire 32 years on this Earth. That might be an exaggeration but I certainly have been traveling quite a bit lately, which I absolutely love, but it really has me missing my kitchen at times! As a matter of fact, I’m 10,000 feet above the ground right now typing up this blog for Baked Cod With Sesame Soy Sauce on my laptop, thanks to WiFi on my flight! (Isn’t technology awesome?!)
I’m so glad that you stopped by today because I have a fun giveaway for you! When I was registering for my wedding over a year ago (WOW!) I came across beautiful bakeware from Emile Henry at Williams-Sonoma. They were so beautifully glazed so I scanned a few and thankfully they were received as gifts for our wedding. I have been obsessed with how their bakeware works in the oven and how easily they clean up!
Emile Henry was so kind in sending me their awesome Fish Steamer to try and I’m just as obsessed. As much as my husband was pushing me to create a whole-fish dish, I just couldn’t bring myself to bring a whole fish in my house so I opted for a delicious cod filet. Using just a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a few lemon slices, I prepared the fish in the steamer and popped it into the oven.
Aside from the fish itself all of the delicious flavor in this dish comes from a very simple sauce that can be prepared while the fish is baking. I’m a huge fan of sesame oil and love the combination of a sweet/salty mix in this sauce. If you’re not a huge fan of baby bok choy you can feel free to include any other vegetable that you enjoy. Asparagus would be a great option or even broccoli.
Before we get to the recipe I am super excited to feature a giveaway from Emile Henry! They have so graciously offered up their Fish Steamer to one of my lucky readers! If you love fish and want a healthy way to cook it, this Fish Steamer is the perfect option. You can earn a bunch of extra entries by sharing this giveaway on your social feeds: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Carrier Pigeon……okay, maybe not the last one. Be sure to enter for your chance to win and try out this recipe in your own home tonight!
- 8 oz cod filets
- ½ cup water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced ginger
- 4 oz bok choy, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoons white sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Wash and pat dry the fish filet. Lay the filet in a baking dish that you can cover and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the lemon wedges on top of the fish.
- Set the bok choy around the fish. Fill the bottom of the dish with ½” of water.
- Cover and steam for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Meanwhile, bring the water, chili powder, cilantro, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sugar to a boil in a small pan.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Arrange the fish and bok choy on serving plates and pour the chili sauce over the top.