I’ve noticed lately that kale seems to be sweeping the nation as the new super food. Has anyone else noticed this trend? Well I have a little confession…I have never tried cooking with kale. (GASP!) It’s very new to me so I’m very excited that organicgirl is giving me this opportunity to work with their greens to create some delicious new recipes.
If you missed the announcement from yesterday, I am teaming up with organicgirl through the month of November to bring you some exciting recipes including their all new I <3 Baby Kale as well as their other delicious greens. More exciting for you is that I am giving one reader the opportunity to win free greens for an entire year. There will be many chances to enter this contest over the next two months starting today. Be sure to read through this post to find out how you can score some points today to increase your chances of winning!
Okay, back to kale. Kale is an amazing superfood that helps lower cholesterol, is high in fiber and is one of the healthiest vegetables around. Whether you’re steaming this as a side or mixing this into a soup, you’re going to want to jump on this bandwagon.
Today I’m baking the kale in with gnocchi and butternut squash to make a delicious fall dish. This dish makes for some delicious leftovers as well. Feel free to play around with the cheeses your use or add in proteins if you’d like.
Before we get to the recipe, how about a chance to enter to win a year of free greens from organicgirl!
- 12 ounces gnocchi
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup organicgirl kale
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese + 2 tablespoons, divided
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- fresh chopped parsley or basil, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Boil a large pot of water and add in the butternut squash. Cook for 7 minutes and then add in the gnocchi and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and place into the prepared baking dish. Add in the kale and mix to combine.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add in the garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add in the flour. Slowly add in the milk, dijon, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Continue to cook, bringing the milk to a boil stirring frequently. The sauce will begin to thicken.
- Add in the cheeses and continue to stir. Pour the cheese mixture over the top of the cooked gnocchi.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese and the panko. Sprinkle over the top of the gnocchi. Bake for 35 minutes.