I have a confession to make.
I cannot stop thinking about summer. I’m so ready for sunshine and backyard BBQ’s! I love that in the summer my family comes together on a more regular occasion to just hang out and throw some hamburgers on the grill. It’s so nice to just sit on a patio and relax while enjoying the company of friends and family! Don’t you agree?
Every time that I head to the grocery store to pick up cookout essentials I always pick out the BLT pasta salad from the deli. It’s one of my favorite sandwiches and obviously when you combine bacon with anything you end up with something amazing. True story.
While I typically purchase this pasta salad I also realize how easy it is to make at home! (I like that I can add extra bacon too!) It’s fun to pick out your favorite pasta shape, chop up some bacon and grape tomatoes and add in fresh romaine to make a simple summer pasta salad. For today’s recipe I’m teaming up again with organicgirl and using their Hearts of Romaine in my salad. Since I usually tear off the outer tough parts of the romaine lettuce anyway, this makes it easy to get to the lettuce that I actually enjoy. Sweet and crunchy, the organicgirl Hearts of Romaine are the perfect compliment for this pasta salad! The nice thing about using the romaine hearts is that they are a pretty hearty and crunchy lettuce so they won’t get all wilted in the pasta salad.
So let’s talk about the giveaway. Remember my Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad from a couple of weeks ago? You need to be sure that you entered that contest to qualify today to win an entire year of organicgirl greens. One lucky reader is going to win 365 coupons for free organicgirl products! That’s a whole lot of healthy greens! Good luck!
BLT Pasta Salad Giveaway
- 12 ounces corkscrew-shaped pasta
- ½ cup milk
- 12 ounces lean bacon
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives or scallion greens
- 5 cups chopped organicgirl Hearts of Romaine
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the pan. Add the tomatoes, thyme and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside ¼ cup for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and the tomato mixture with the pasta.
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and 3 tablespoons chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce; toss again to coat. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve at room temperature.
This post is sponsored by organicgirl. All opinions expressed are my own.