If you know me personally at all, you know how much I love to celebrate my birthday. And even more exciting is that I get to celebrate TWO birthdays each year: one for myself and one for the birthday of Food n’ Focus. And today I’m super excited to celebrate the FOURTH birthday of Food n’ Focus!
Each year when I hit this day I stop and reflect on all of the amazing things that have happened in the past year. I’ve been able to travel with this blog, work with a lot of really great brands and have continued to grow my photography and cooking skills.
I like to look back each year at my very first post on this blog and while the photos are really ugly, the recipe was still really delicious. But looking back helps me to realize how much I’ve grown! One of these days I’m going to remake that post and compare photos side-by-side for you.
I can’t let this day go by without telling my story about how it all started: I loved cooking and I loved photography and so I told my boyfriend at the time that I was going to start a food blog. He rolled his eyes at me, expected it to last 2 weeks and I’d be over my idea. Four years later that boyfriend is now my husband and this blog is celebrating four years of delicious food, photography and travel. IN YOUR FACE!
A birthday is not complete without cake and sprinkles so today I’m bringing you a delicious recipe for funfetti cupcakes with cream cheese/whipped cream frosting. They are light, airy and oh-so-delicious.
Happy Birthday to me!
- 1 and ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup rainbow jimmies/sprinkles
- Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in sugar – mixture will be gritty. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 minute. Stir in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Slowly stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color.
- Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for up to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Topping: In a mixing bowl whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. In a separate mixing bowl, whip cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese to whipped cream along with powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract and whip until stiff peaks form. Store in refrigerator.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting and adding sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.