If you happened to be following along on Facebook and Instagram last week you may have noticed that I had a little accident in the kitchen. I was working on this recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup when a little mishap occurred in the middle of mincing garlic. My thumb will survive but it was quite the event. When I threw away all of the bad garlic to start fresh, I realized that there was really no need to mince the garlic because the soup was being blended anyway. So rest assured, you won’t have to mince any garlic while creating this tasty recipe!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my all time favorite soups. This recipe is super quick and easy to pull together and utilize one of my all time favorite kitchen staples: rotisserie chicken. I love how the roasted chicken flavor adds to this delicious soup and makes this recipe even quicker than having to cook your own chicken. You can also turn up the heat on this soup by adding in more or less cayenne pepper that is recommended below.
One of my favorite things about Chicken Tortilla Soup is the toppings. Crisp tortilla strips, shredded cheese and avocado are some of my favorite toppings but you can also stir in a spoon of sour cream for a cooling effect. This soup is even better heated up on the second day as all of the flavors begin to melt together on a more complex level. If you’re in a dinner rut this week, try this recipe on your family and enjoy the leftovers for lunch!
- 6 tablespoons corn oil
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, halved and cut crosswise into ¼-inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1½ quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes (one 28-ounce can)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup lightly-packed cilantro leaves plus extra for serving
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 avocado, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion, garlic, and spices; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, cilantro leaves, if using, and one-third of the tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes; remove the bay leaves.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches; pour it back into the pot. Add the chicken, bring the soup back to a simmer, and simmer until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Stir in the avocado.
- To serve, put the remaining tortilla strips in bowls, top with the cheese, and pour in the soup. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro, if using, and serve with the lime wedges.