Happy Friday foodies! I’m so excited that this week is finally over and I can enjoy the weekend in my kitchen crafting delicious new dishes. Next week we celebrate Valentine’s Day and while I’m not big on this holiday, I’m always up for a quiet night at home with my husband, in our kitchen making a fun dinner together. Does anyone else celebrate this way? If you’re celebrating in a bigger way or looking for a dessert to bring to a group dinner, I created these delicious Chocolate Cupcakes with Champagne Frosting as a way to celebrate. Because let’s be real, chocolate and champagne are a perfect way to celebrate.
I loved making these cupcakes festive with pretty wrappers and fancy toppings. You can find some fun Valentine’s Day sprinkles or other wrappers a lot of stores right about now. I liked keeping my cupcakes simple with a tiny heart candy decorations but the sky is really the limit. You can make them a little classier with gold sugars or more fun with heart sprinkles. You can even use food dye to make pink or red frosting!
These cupcakes are best made the night ahead so that they can cool completely before frosting. You can either pipe the frosting on with a decorating tip or you can spread the frosting with a knife. I recommend storing these in a closed container and putting them in the refrigerator in they are not going to be eaten right away. This will keep the frosting and cupcakes fresh! Just remove them from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve!
How are you planning to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year?
- Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Champagne Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tsp heavy cream
- 1 – 4 tbsp Champagne
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the cupcakes: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep your baking pans with cupcake liners. You can either make 18 large cupcakes or 24 medium.
- Into a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Pour your batter evenly into your prepped cupcake pan. Gently tap the pans on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool fully before frosting.
- For the buttercream: Sift the powdered sugar and set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the butter until soft and fluffy. You’ll have to scrape the sides of the bowl several times. This process of getting fluffy butter takes at least 10 minutes.
- Add the sifted icing sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and heavy cream and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the champagne, 1 tbsp at a time so that you may adjust to your taste. I used about 3 tablespoons for my frosting for a stronger flavor.
- Decorate your cupcakes and enjoy!