Today is probably one of my favorite posts. Ever since discovering Peanut Butter & Co. and their Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter I have pretty much been obsessed. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good plain peanut butter as well. But if you have ever tried this treat you’d be in love too.
I’ve never made buckeyes but they seem to be a holiday staple. They are actually pretty simple to make and seriously, how can you go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate?
So let’s get to that recipe and giveaway…
- 1½ cups Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Combine peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until blended. Add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating until blended. Beat in additional powdered sugar until mixture, when shaped into a ball, will stay on a toothpick. Shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until mixture is smooth. Reheat as needed while coating peanut butter balls.
- Insert toothpick in peanut butter ball. Dip ¾ of ball into chocolate, leaving top uncovered to resemble a buckeye. Remove excess. Place on wax paper-lined tray. Remove toothpick. Smooth over holes. Refrigerate until firm.