Can someone please tell me how we are already at the end of June? This year is flying by and with today being the official first day of summer I plan to be outside as much as possible in the coming weeks and using my grill for every meal. I made some Greek Turkey Burgers this past weekend and I will just say that they were the bomb. And I don’t usually say things like that. But if you’re looking for a little first day of summer grilling inspiration then I would like you to give these a try.
I love a good burger but when I’m looking to cut down on calories and fat I always turn to turkey burgers. They are much leaner than beef burgers and still pack huge flavor. Jennie-O makes some pretty amazing seasoned turkey burgers that you can find in your grocer’s freezer case. I love that they are individually packaged and I can just pull the amount of patties that I need out of my freezer to thaw in time for dinner grilling. They also make some Pepper Jack Turkey Burgers that are pretty awesome.
Since the burger part of this recipe is pretty much taken care of, I decided to turn my focus to a salad to top them off. You can’t have a Greek recipe without salty feta cheese and kalamata olives. Using a low-fat feta and also a low-fat Greek yogurt for the tzatziki sauce will keep your overall calories down for these burgers. You can have everything for the salad topping prepared ahead of time and just toss it with the tzatziki before you’re ready to assemble and serve the burgers.
On that note, I’d like to encourage you to make your summer grilling just a little bit easier by picking up Jennie-O Seasoned Turkey Burgers at your local grocery store and spice things up a bit with this recipe for Greek Turkey Burgers!
- 4 Jennie-O Seasoned Turkey Burgers, thawed
- 4 brioche buns, cut in half
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup low-fat feta cheese
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Persian cucumber, chopped
- ¾ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Grill the burgers over medium-high heat until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tzatziki by mixing together the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, red wine vinegar, dill and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the romaine, tomato, red onion, feta cheese and kalamata olives. Add in the tzatziki by the spoonful and toss with the salad mixture until there is just enough sauce to your liking. Serve the remaining sauce alongside of the burgers for those that desire more.
- Assemble the burgers by putting one burger on the bottom half of each brioche bun. Top with a heaping serving of the salad mixture. Place the top of the bun on each burger and secure with a pick before serving.
This post is sponsored by Jennie-O. All opinions expressed are my own.