If there’s one thing that I can’t get enough of during the summer is using my grill. Pretty much all of my meals during the summer are cooked outside with a glass of wine in hand. What? It’s the summer!
While I’m not traditionally not fond of bone-in meat, I do enjoy bone-in chicken breasts on the grill. The flavors that come out of this kind of chicken breast is just not something you get when you go with the boneless, skinless variety.
But enough about the chicken. Let’s take a moment to talk about a ‘diet’ that I’ve been trying to follow. And while I’m usually not a fan of the term, this is really just a different way of eating. The Mediterranean Diet really just emphasizes a diet of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts. It’s really about eating foods that are low in fats to create a more heart-healthy overall diet.
One of the key foods in the Mediterranean Diet is surprisingly olives! And who doesn’t love a good olive, especially when they come from California. California Ripe Olives are are an essential part of the Mediterranean diet and contain monounsaturated fat – the good fat!
Today’s recipe features a deliciously marinated chicken and an orzo salad complete with roasted red peppers and California Ripe Olives. This dish is low in calories and perfect for the grill on a warm summer night.
Before we get to the tasty recipe, I just wanted to quickly share that California Ripe Olives is currently offering a fun summer giveaway! Head on over to their Facebook page to enter for your chance to win their Midsummer Mediterranean Giveaway. There’s a fabulous prize package up for grabs that can help you enjoy tasty flavors this season and beyond.
- For the chicken:
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- For the orzo:
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup roasted peppers, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces orzo pasta, cooked
- ¾ cup California Ripe Olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and black pepper
- In a large bowl or zip closure bag, combine the chicken breasts, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub the seasonings and olive oil around in the bag to coat the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until internal temperature of the thickest part registers to 150 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, toss the orzo, California Ripe Olives and roasted peppers together in a large bowl. Drizzle the orzo with the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic salt and pepper and toss well to combine. Serve warm with the chicken.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.