Spring is in the air here in Wisconsin and I can’t believe that Easter is this weekend! I have plans to head out to brunch with my family and hopefully enjoy a beautiful afternoon outside. I also have Friday off of work so I’m heading down to Chicago for the day! I’m looking forward to being in one of my favorite cities with friends. I will also be heading to Chicago next weekend too so that I can work on a city guide for you! Stay tuned for that. In the mean time I’d like to share with you a delicious dessert that you can make for Easter! Lemon Cheesecake Mousse Cups put three of my favorite things together in individual servings.
I’m a huge cheesecake person but have not yet perfected how to make one. (Yes, even food bloggers struggle.) I love that these mousse cups combine the deliciously creamy flavor of cheesecake with lightly whipped mousse to make one amazing dessert. I used a bit of fresh lemon juice along with lemon curd to really intensify the flavor. I always feel like lemon curd is like spring in a jar. You can find it at your local grocery store by the jelly and jam. I decorated the tops with freshly whipped cream and a few blueberries for a nice color contrast. I think that raspberries would work well too!
What are your plans for Easter? Are you hosting a brunch or heading out for lunch? If you’re plans require you to bring dessert I would encourage you to try these Lemon Cheesecake Mousse Cups!
- ¾ cup crushed graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons water
- 1½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin powder
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (10 oz) jar lemon curd
- Sweetened whipped cream, lemon wedges, blueberries and mint for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Pour in butter and stir until evenly moistened. Divide mixture among 8 – 10 dessert cups and lightly press into an even layer, set aside.
- Pour lemon juice and water into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over top, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whip heavy cream in a medium mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add in ⅓ cup of the powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate large mixing bowl whip cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Mix lemon curd and remaining ⅔ cup powdered sugar into cream cheese mixture.
- Heat rested gelatin mixture in the microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Whisk for 1 minute to thoroughly dissolve gelatin, then let cool 3 minutes (no longer or it may start to set then you could end up with little lumps in the mousse). While mixing cream cheese mixture with hand mixer, slowly pour in gelatin mixture then blend until thoroughly combined.
- Gently fold ⅓ of the whipped cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture to lighten, then add remaining whipped cream and gently fold until combined. Spoon or pipe mixture into dessert cups over graham cracker layer. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours (or up to 1 day ahead if desired) to set. Garnish as desired. Serve cold.