I know, I know. You’re probably just as surprised as I am to see a new post this morning! But happy Monday to you! Between being on vacation for two weeks and getting back into the swing of ‘real life,’ things have been a bit hectic around here lately. But thankfully I’m back. It was a little difficult getting back into the kitchen but I think I now remember how to use the oven.
It seems like I went from summer on vacation back to fall the minute I stepped off of the plane. Given the fact that it’s September, I guess it’s to be expected that fall weather is upon us. In the last week I have made sure to pick up my first, second, third, fourth, fifth (you get the point) Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Those things never get old and traditionally mark the start of the season for me. I’ve been seeing a lot of pumpkin goodness across the board on many of the blogs that I follow and figured it was time to get on the bandwagon.
While I’m not big on traditional pumpkin pie, I am huge on pumpkin spice desserts. Especially when cream cheese is involved. These cupcakes offer a dense and moist cake with a light and creamy cream cheese topping that is sure to impress. These are quick and easy to whip up and if you can manage to eat just one I would be very impressed. Enjoy!
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks melted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ stick softened butter
- 1½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners and set to the side.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, melted butter, sour cream and vanilla. Add in the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt. Gently mix the ingredients until they are just combined.
- Evenly divide the batter amongst the 24 baking cups and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add in the confectioners’ sugar and beat on low speed until it is combined and thickened. Frost the cupcakes.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in a cool place for 2-3 days.