- 1 cup warm water (100-110 F)
- 1 Tbsp. organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour + extra for kneading
- 1 egg, whisked + 1 Tbsp. water, for egg wash
- dried rosemary, for sprinkling
I’d be really surprised if this week could go any slower. I think it’s dragging on because I’m dreaming of my weekend at home, in stretchy pants, cooking and baking. A girl can dream, can’t she? I’ve got a lot of savory foods that I’ve been anxious to create, but more on that next week.
In today’s installment of ‘sun-dried tomato week I bring you a delicious bread. The combination of sun-dried tomato and rosemary make it very aromatic, flavorful and a perfect side for a bowl of soup.
In a large bowl, combine the water, sugar and yeast and allow it to work it’s magic for 10 minutes. Stir in the salt, rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes, seasonings, olive oil and wheat flour. Add in the bread flour and continue to stir until the dough forms a ball. Place the dough on a flour-dusted surface and kneed additional flour into the dough until it it only slightly sticky. Place the ball in a separate oil drizzled bowl and cover tightly. Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
Punch the dough down in the bowl and then place it onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with wax paper and allow to rise for an additional 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash mixture and then sprinkle additional rosemary on to. Bake the bread on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes, until it is golden brown.