If there is one food group that I could eat and never get tired of it would be Italian. Pasta is definitely my comfort food of choice! I was browsing around this weekend for a delicious Sunday Supper that included some sort of Italian pasta and came up with this quick and easy Skillet Lasagna. This dish could not be more perfect for a weeknight meal and leftovers.
That’s the thing about lasagna…the longer it sits in your refrigerator, the better it tastes. (Be reasonable with how long you leave it in there!) Here are just a couple of tips that I have to help you get through preparing this meal:
- If you’re not a fan of red pepper you can omit this from the recipe but I honestly think it gives an amazing flavor to the meal.
- Use a high quality Parmesan cheese for this dish. You’ll thank me later.
- Always pair this dish (and any Italian meal for that matter) with a large glass of red wine.
So there you have it. Enjoy this quick and easy Italian dinner!
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- Table salt
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
- 8 ounces flavored pasta sauce
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 2 additional tablespoons
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, breaking apart meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Return the meat mixture to the pan and scatter pasta over meat but do not stir. Pour crushed tomatoes with juices, water and tomato sauce over pasta. Cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with heaping tablespoons ricotta, cover, and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve.