Thanksgiving has come and gone and now the holiday season is in full swing! I stayed home on ‘Black Friday’ to put up my Christmas tree, turn on the holiday tunes and just take in all that the holiday has to offer! I wasted no time jumping into my kitchen for some holiday baking to really just set the mood for the rest of December. My first batch of these season was inspired by my favorite Italian dessert: Tiramisu Cookies.
Are you as obsessed about Tiramisu as I am? It seriously is one of my favorite desserts and i just love how delicate the cream is that surrounds the espresso soaked lady fingers. I decided to turn this delicious dessert into a fun sandwich cookie featured rum flavored sugar cookies that sandwich a mascarpone buttercream flavored by espresso. Are you drooling yet?
Today I am teaming up with my friends over at Rodelle who make some of the best vanilla products that I know! I refuse to use anything but their pure vanilla extract in my holiday baking because a quality vanilla really does make a difference in the overall taste of a cookie. I also used their Gourmet Baking Cocoa to dust the tops of these cookies for a rich, chocolate finish.
Have you begun to think about your holiday baking yet? Now is the perfect time to stock up on vanilla, cocoa, sugar and flour and lock yourself in your kitchen for the next month. And to kick off baking season Rodelle has put together an awesome collection of cookies from their brand ambassadors over on their website! New cookies will be showing up daily so be sure to check back frequently for a little holiday cookie inspiration!
AND to make things more exciting, Rodelle is giving away a vanilla prize package to one of my lucky readers! You can enter below for your chance to win their vanilla extract, vanilla beans, cocoa powder and almond extract! Good luck!
- For the Tiramisu Cookies:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar + extra for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- For the Mascarpone Espresso Filling:
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- ½ teaspoon Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso (1 teaspoon instant coffee granules)
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Roselle Gourmet Baking Cocoa for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter, sugar, vanilla, and rum extract together until light and fluffy–3-5 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Add the baking powder and salt, then slowly add the flour to the mixture until well combined. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Scoop small 1 – 1½ teaspoon portions of dough and roll into balls. Place a little extra sugar in a small bowl and roll each ball in sugar before placing on a baking sheet. Use the bottom of a glass to press the dough balls into flat disks ½ inch thick. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until just baked through.
- For the mascarpone espresso filling: Wash the mixing bowl and dry well. Then place the mascarpone and butter in the bowl and beat to combine. Pour the vanilla extract into a small bowl. Add the instant espresso powder and mix to dissolve. Beat into the cheese mixture. Slowly add the 2 cups powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add extra powdered sugar if needed.
- Place the filling in a large zip bag and cut a tiny hole off the corner. Turn half of the cooled cookies over and pipe 1 tsp. of filling onto the bottom cookies. Top each cookie sandwich and sprinkle with cocoa powder.