Whoever said that you couldn’t eat cake for breakfast was a total liar. One of my favorite breakfast foods is pancakes and there is nothing better than adding in bacon with your batter. There’s just something about that pancake/maple/bacon combination that just gets me every time.
One of the downsides to bacon is the amount of fat and calories in each slice. But seriously, it’s SO good, how can you resist? Well, that’s why I’ve switched to turkey bacon. Jennie-O turkey bacon is much lower in fat than regular bacon and includes less sodium as well. I would still encourage consuming this in moderation but at least you can feel less guilty about eating it!
So today I’m bringing you a tasty little recipe from the Jennie-O website that combines my love of pancakes in bacon into one fabulous little breakfast cupcake. The recipe calls for the addition of chives into the batter, however, I opted to skip that ingredient. If you want a more savory breakfast cupcake you can feel free to add them back into the mix.
So before we get to this tasty recipe, how about a giveaway? Who wants to win $20 in free Jennie-O products?!
- 6 slices JENNIE-O® Turkey Bacon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 cups prepared pancake batter
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mist muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside. Cook turkey bacon as specified on the package. Crumble and set aside.
- Mix chives into pancake batter and pour into muffin cups filling about ¾ full. Bake 12 minutes. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and maple syrup. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and cool on rack, about 10 minutes. Frost cupcakes with icing and top with crumbled bacon.